Friday, 14 June 2013

What do I do with a Caterpillar ?

I found this fat healthy Caterpillar today. Friend or foe ? 




I showed it to Charlie who promptly picked it up in his gentle Spaniel mouth and ran off with it !


The Caterpillar survived being dropped 6 times by Charlie
I can't kill a butterfly in pyjamas so I have put it as far away as I can from the veg patch
I have sown today 9 BEANS and 16 BEETROOT all soaked for 2 hours after reading my " Square Foot Gardening " Library book
Some SWEDE have come up at last. 
They were sown between the ONIONS 8 days ago. I marked where I put each one with a wooden stick
An ARTICHOKE has come up in the BEETROOT bed  !

3 comments:

  1. That caterpillar may be an angle shades moth caterpillar - which isn't too dodgy for veg (http://www.plot7wildlife.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/green-angle-shades-moth-caterpillar.html) but it may be a cabbage white.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a small white butterfly caterpillar so best kept away from your brassicas. Hate to say it but being deprived of its food source it will die anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear I do feel sorry for it now. There are lots of leaves where I put it but no Brassicas

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate and do read all comments. Only moderated to avoid Spam. Marion x